Your stories are needed. The complete request is available here.
In the wake of October’s harmful government shutdown, we now face another critical looming deadline — the shutdown of federal unemployment insurance for long-term unemployed workers at the end of December.
If Congress fails to reauthorize the federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program, more than 2 million unemployed jobseekers will lose federal jobless aid by the end of March 2014. In the week between Christmas and New Year’s, the 1.3 million workers currently receiving federal EUC will be abruptly cut off. Another 850,000 currently receiving regular state unemployment benefits will not have access to those federal EUC extensions in the first three months of 2014 when their state benefits run out — unless Congress acts. Millions more will lose access to federal unemployment insurance throughout the entirety of 2014.
We need all of the following kinds of stories to help with our lobbying, advocacy and press referrals:
* If you are currently receiving federal EUC benefits, and would be completely cut off if Congress fails to act, we need your story now.
* If you are currently receiving regular state UI benefits and would lose access to federal EUC if it is not renewed, we need your story now.
* If you were cut off federal EUC in North Carolina this summer, and now have no unemployment benefits, we need your story now.
* If you are fortunate enough to be working again and thankful for having had the support of federal EUC while looking for work, we need your story now.
* If you have exhausted all of your state and federal benefits and experiencing added hardship, we need your story now.